Thread: Jeep Long Travel Rear- Cantilever Coilover Suspension

Jeep Long Travel Rear- Cantilever Coilover Suspension

Was reading the new Petersen's and they have an article about a VERY cool rear suspension sytem that is being made for the Jeep JK's.

The Evo-Lever system by Off-Road Evolution utilizes a pivoting lever in the rear coil-over suspension, allowing the coil-overs to be mounted horizontally under the body. Pretty sick at 14" of travel, it's supposed to cost about $3500.

Hypothetically speaking, am I crazy for thinking this style of suspension would be a good way for someone to long-travel the rear of a 4Runner if they don't want to stab reservoir shocks/coilovers through the rear bed? It could basically fit where the spare tire sits right now...

Could be a pretty expensive option (not to mention the design and fab work required), but there aren't a lot of options out there for the rear of a 4Runner to help it keep up with a long-travel front...
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

Re: Jeep Long Travel Rear- Cantilever Coilover Suspension

this is by far the coolest innovation i have seen in a long time for suspension setups.

what makes me sad, i had a similar system on a lego truck i built about 5 years ago... ohwell! not nearly as sophisticated though.

wonder how well it flexes? looks like there would be some limitations on flex because of the links between the axle and shocks..

look good, thanks for the tip!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I've seen a late model LT Tacoma that had a sick cantilever suspension. Major $$$

This isn't the one I was talking about as it is an older tacoma: 17" Cantilever

NCD Customs has a kit for tacomas. (scroll down the link to find the info on their homepage.)
    Here's a pic of their kit:

Granted, these are leaf sprung, so it would be cool to see the 4link w/ coilovers. Still this could be another option for 4runner owners.
    My signature

Anyone have a vertical wheel travel measurement from the rear of a 3rd Gen?

Looks like it is nice for packaging, swaybar space, etc.

Bang for the buck I think Bruce has the sweetest rearend around when coupled with a LT front.
    2k 4Runner&nbsp; Daily Driver<br />Long travel front<br />Longer travel rear<br />Diamonds, Foxes, Alcans and MT/R&#039;s <br />Goes fast and slow

Quote Originally Posted by Cheese
    I think Bruce has the sweetest rearend around when coupled with a LT front.
    Uhhh?
    The swing arms and shock placement look similar to linkage designs on the rear suspension of mountain bikes. Similar concept, just take some money to get it right.

There is a ton of aftermarket for the JK's. Anything and everything.

Pretty cool setup.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Or it looks a lot like the rear of most go fast desert trucks.

Lots of cool stuff out there for Jeeps, blingtastic.
    2k 4Runner&nbsp; Daily Driver<br />Long travel front<br />Longer travel rear<br />Diamonds, Foxes, Alcans and MT/R&#039;s <br />Goes fast and slow

Quote Originally Posted by slosurfer
    This isn't the one I was talking about as it is an older tacoma: 17" Cantilever
    That's Smitherz - he's fitting a 1UZ to his Taco
    2010 Sequoia Limited Black - Bils UCA & Shocks, Borla Cat back, Morimoto Headlights
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium Dark Blue w/TRD Gunmetal Wheels - Kings/OME, 285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, SSO BMC, TRD Skid, Victory 4x4 Blitz Sliders and Front Bumper, BD Fogs & Light Bar, Morimoto Headlights, Prinsu Rack
    2023 Tacoma Trail White w/Bronze wheels - CBI T3 Side Steps

Quote Originally Posted by Cheese
    ...I think Bruce has the sweetest rearend around when coupled with...
    LOL @ what you can make of an out of context quote! OK, now carry on... :P
    -andy

-Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD