Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SAS thought process

SAS thought process

Instead of starting a new thread i figured id post my shopping lists here. Most prices are for brand new parts and from trail-gear.com. (I will like buy most of what i can from waskilly... He, as well as you all, are helping my noob ass out... =D I find trail-gears site handy because i <i>need</i> colorfully pictures to which i can clicky. I also enjoy long rides on horizontally challenged busses!)

So much for what i said about rushing into this earlier... lol

I guess my moto for my build is going to have to be go big or go home. (AKA, do it right the first time.)

Parts
    IFS Eliminator 3" or 4"
    Rear Lift 5"
    HP front 3rd w/ arb
    4 cyl 3rd w/ arb
    Long Fields front
    Rear Axle shafts
    Knuckle service w/BRG's
    Aisin Hubs
    Crawl Box
    X member
    M & S clutch cyl.
    1" brake master CYL.
    Rotors
    v6 Calipers
    Extended brake lines
    Diff armor/upper gusset
    Knuckle Ball Kit
    Axle Breather Kit x2

GRAND EFFING TOTAL! (YIKES!) ~7090 Mr. Washingtons. w00t!

A few questions
    Lift: A friend of mine has advised me to go 3" up front and 5" in the rear to keep the truck from
    sqautting too bad. Is 1" sufficient with the fiberglass on top or should i go 2"? Note:
    i do not plan on running tires bigger than 36" and plan on running 4.88's)

Hubs: I have been reading that Chromoly hubs are the way to go? Can i use my IFS hubs on my SFA?

3rd's: Will i need a high pinion up front w/ 3-4" of lift?? Should i be using v6 thirds? Do i
    need ARB's compressor to run their lockers? (i plan on converting my a/c down the road)

Things i believe that i am forgetting
    -Rear axle service "kit"?
    -Rear Disk "Kit"?
    -(ARB?) compressor
    -Front DRiveline
    -Tires/Rims

Thank you all again for allowing me to pick your brains!!!
    Cheers
    -Matt<br /><br />1988 4Runner, 22re, 5spd<br />1994 Mustang Cnvt, 302, 5spd

Re: SAS questions

Quote Originally Posted by mYnAmEiSmUdD
    Instead of starting a new thread i figured id post my shopping lists here.
    Nah, this deserves it's own post in the fab section.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

A few questions
    Lift: A friend of mine has advised me to go 3" up front and 5" in the rear to keep the truck from
    sqautting too bad. Is 1" sufficient with the fiberglass on top or should i go 2"? Note:
    i do not plan on running tires bigger than 36" and plan on running 4.88's)

Hubs: I have been reading that Chromoly hubs are the way to go? Can i use my IFS hubs on my SFA?

3rd's: Will i need a high pinion up front w/ 3-4" of lift?? Should i be using v6 thirds? Do i
    need ARB's compressor to run their lockers? (i plan on converting my a/c down the road)
    Lift: No more than a 1" difference IMO unless you are going to go crazy loading out the back.

Hubs: Longfield makes a chromoly hub gear so you can use your IFS hubs work on your SFA.

3rds: HPs are overrated IMO and not necessary and 4 cyl 3rds are plenty strong. The install and setup of gears/lockers is the key.

Hubs... no you can't use IFS manual locking hubs on a SA.

High pinion 3rd...it depends. What kind of drive shaft will you be running? If it's a CV probably not. If it's a U-joint then no, you don't need it. This assumes you will be running dual transfer cases. If only running a single transfer case then you will definitely need a HP if you go with a CV drive shaft and you will probably need one even with U-joints.

Now, whether you're running a CV shaft or not depends on how fast you want to drive in 4wd. If you want to drive fast, like getting up to the slopes for skiing, then you'll probably want a CV. If it's only for low speed stuff, then a normal U joint will be fine.

You don't necessarily need the ARB compressor to power the lockers, but you will need some kind of air pressure source. You can piece together you own 12V compressor, like my caddy compressors, but you will also need to source the parts like a pressure switch, fittings, etc. The ARB kit comes with everything you need.

There's a few things on your list you can cut if you want to save money. If you're easy on things and go slow then you don't need chromoly rear axle shafts. Make your own axle breather extenders. You don't need rear disk brakes. Never heard of a rear axle rebuild kit, but maybe you need it for the chromo axles? Brake lines come with the kits. Front rotors come with the sas kit.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
    Hubs: Longfield makes a chromoly hub gear so you can use your IFS hubs work on your SFA.
    Good to know.
    Steve

If I had it to do over again I would go with E-lockers over ARB's.
    - No Compressor to Worry about
    - No Leaks to Worry about
    - As Durable or more so
    - Can be had cheaper than ARB's

Just my opinion, have run ARB's for over 4 years no E-locker experience.

What everyone else said is good advice.
    93 4runner - 3.0 5spd
    2005 LandCruiser

Ambitious !

elockers will need housing modifications to fit, bob's writeup http://www.4runners.org/writeups/elocker/

not horribly difficult. if you are a competent mechanic and fabricator, this should be NO problem. 4x4wire has a better write up for you, but i dont feel like searching for it. they explain the needed massaging of the back of the housing.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

elockers are the only way to go i think. ive had a lockright, a welded 4cyl, and now an elocker. i modified my rear housing for the elocker, and used ors' wiring kit. i also helped install a marlin hi pinion elocker into an 85 front housing. elockers are cheaper than arbs all said and done and you already have electricity on board so why screw with air yet.

here is my friends front housing for his sas which is almost done.
    [img width=800 height=450]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t107/20005spd/DSC00144.jpg[/img]
    ifs hub gears from long, 5.29 hi pinion solid spacer elocker from marlin, 30 spline longs yada yada yada. we also swapped the 3.0v6 out for a supercharged 3.4
    1998 4runner SAS<br />1997 Volvo 850<br /><br />www.toyotacrawlers.com

As far as a compressor is concerned i plan on utilizing my a/c compressor to run on board air. Just need to find a economically sized tank that will hold 150 psi.
    Cheers!
    [/quote]

Ac Compressor, if you need info. Done

As far as Bud built then, I think you need a little help !

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast